Updated 7.5 release plans

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:18:02 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:00 AM, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> After chatting with Peter about the state of Xi2, here's the revised
> schedule.  I'm aiming to have both Xi2 and XKB2 merged by the 14th of
> June; Xi2 is already in people.fd.o:~whot/xserver.git and pretty close
> to mergeable already, and XKB2 will be pushed for initial review this
> weekend.  I've been working on the xkbcommon stuff, and that should
> hopefully be mergeable in time too.  If not, we'll look at pushing it
> later.

About xkbcommon - it's not quite ready for primetime. I was looking
into an issue I'd papered over with ctrls->num_groups == 0 and found
out that a XkbDescPtr generated by xkbcomp is not the complete thing.
Brilliantly, some parts of the keyboard description are put into the
XKM file and not added to the DescPtr until the XKM file is decoded in
the server. Other things I noticed were per-key repeat rate and maybe
indicators but I haven't really gotten into it yet.

So, a xkbcommon XkbDescPtr is not the same as a XkbDescPtr generated
from a XKM file. More code movement will be needed, and I don't know
how much time I can throw at this right now. I wouldn't block on
xkbcommon unless it's required for XKB2.

--
Dan