Default value of Option "EXAOptimizeMigration" in xserver 1.6

Maarten Maathuis madman2003 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:18:29 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 16:04 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>> So, your kernel memory manager is done then?
>
> My point was that we've demonstrated for several years that the legacy
> user-mode memory management stuff is pretty much unworkable. Instead of
> investing any time attempting to make it go faster, we should simply
> make it work correctly and then work on switching drivers to kernel-mode
> memory management.
>
> --
> keith.packard at intel.com

I personally think that exa's memory manager isn't stupid, it's just
unsuited to non-linear memory. Improving existing code has the nice
side effect of knowing what bottlenecks exist, since you'll most
likely encounter them again when switching to a more sophisticated
memory manager. It's quite possible that intel uma's perform poorly in
combination with exa_offscreen/migration, but that doesn't make it
horrible for other hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few of
the optimisations in classic exa also make it into future memory
managers (obviously on the userspace side of things).

Maarten.