Listen to input from core pointer/keyboard devices

Andrey Pokrovskiy wonder.mice at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 02:22:46 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Peter Hutterer
<peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
>> I need it for functionality similar to Synergy. When pointer reaches
>> edge of the screen, it moves to another screen (that can be on this or
>> another machine) according to special rules. I can't use Synergy
>> because of its license and because it uses TCP/IP as transport (which
>> is not always needed/available in my case).
>
> It may be worth looking at x2x. IIRC, it puts up an InputOnly window on the
> edge of the screen and waits for EnterNotify events.

Yes, but it has the same problem as Synergy - if pointer grabbed,
EnterNotify will not come.
One more interesting problem with Motion/Enter events is that they are
"polite" and pointer position in them is always inside current screen.
So, pointer can't be set by user on edge of the screen, for example on
point with x==0 or y==0, because Synergy or x2x will move it to other
display/screen immediately. In other words, position of pointer is
always truncated to screen boundaries. It is good in most cases, but
not for Synergy/x2x or me.
It will be nice to have opportunity to receive (possibly optionally
ignoring any/some grabs):
 - raw (relative/absolute, depending on device mode) input events
 - non-truncated absolute input events
 - truncated absolute input events
But all this "features" are very task-specific and I don't sure they
are really needed to anyone else.