problem with xFillPolygon and over 1million vertices

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Feb 9 09:16:26 PST 2009

P.Romero wrote:
> The reason I have so many vertices is because it's a very hi-resolution,
> highly detailed shapefile of world coastlines, and one of the "shapes" is
> North & South America combined, with over 1.5 million points. I didn't
> design the shapefile, so I cant do anything about the size.

So what you do is slice the data from the shapefile into smaller
polygons. Look up tessellation.

> Im looking at the big requests extension now...
> But, before I read through all of the documentation, can I get a quick
> answer: is there a hard limit? What is it?

Yes, there is a hard limit. 65534 points. BigRequests may expand this
limit. Other constraints (drivers) may reduce this limit. When you
tessellate, you probably want to use at most 100 points per polygon if
the algorithm you use doesn't go all the way to triangles.

> And is there a solution to this???

Tessellation.

Peter Harris
--