Why X server exposes multiple visuals with same depth/colormap ?

Yann Droneaud ydroneaud at mandriva.com
Thu Dec 31 01:28:46 PST 2009

Le jeudi 31 décembre 2009 à 08:17 +0100, patrick ficheux a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> It seems that X server exposes several visuals with same caracteristics
> (depth / color).
>
> For example, on my Debian, xdpyinfo displays 4 identical Visuals:
> TrueColor/24 planes (see output below) and only one visual TrueColor/32
> planes.
> With window/cygwin, XWin (the X server) exposes 15 identical visuals
> TrueColor / 24 planes
>
> Is there a reason to expose several identical visuals ?
> If yes, could you give me an example ?

I don't have a definitive answer for this, but from my humble
experience, those visuals have different render / OpenGL support:
there's an X visual for each specific OpenGL framebuffer configuration.

Try xdpyinfo -ext RENDER and you can see picture formats for each
visual.

Try glxinfo and you will get OpenGL framebuffer attributes.

Regards.

--
Yann Droneaud