Xfake build failure (was Re: Convert kdrive libraries to libtool convenience libraries.)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Fri Dec 11 10:12:26 PST 2009

Resending due to lack of response.  Xfake doesn't build in 1.7 or master due to "-Wl,-undefined=InitExtensions" in LDFLAGS

Hi Paulo,

Last year, you made the following commit.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=f7585d020593345e7a61b1fe1a517c38da8f6d79

 Also correct a link failure due to unresolved symbols. This
is arguably a libtool/ranlib/ld bug, that "may" be corrected
by linking all convenience libraries in a single one. But in
this case, it was preferred to just add a linker option  to
Xfake_LDFLAGS, to force linkage of all libraries.

 This corrects #19725.

---

As part of that, you introduced "-Wl,-undefined=InitExtensions" to LDFLAGS for Xfake.

This is not portable.  Based on your commit message, I'm guessing that it's telling ld that InitExtensions being undefined is ok. It links correctly for me without this option on darwin.  Is this option still necessary?  If so, perhaps it should be conditional for the operating systems that need it and recognize it.