X.Org releases & automake security issue CVE-2009-4029

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Tue Dec 8 16:33:13 PST 2009

First of all, can we come up with a hook in util-macros which will
verify that the version of automake is correct and bail during
configure if it's not?  This would prevent future problems (assuming
the packager has the latest util-macros... which they should).

As far as what to do about released packages:

1) Re-releasing *every* tarball is certainly out of the question.

2) Re-releasing with the same version number is out of the question as
that is one of the big packager nightmares (don't change checksums on
us).

3) Bumping (maybe as a sub-tiny version bump... eg: 1.0 -> 1.0.0.1)
the latest version is an option I'd consider, but I personally believe
we have too many repos and too few people to do this effectively.
Unless Alan came up with some friendly script for mass releases during
the last katamari, I'd vote for skipping this option.

4) Making an announcement seems to be the best bet.  Packagers can
autoreconf, and the quantity of users building from sources and not
using something like pkgsrc, portage, etc is probably limited in scope
and not worth the effort of a mass re-release.