Reserving key combinations for special clients

Alex Dănilă nuorama at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 03:08:37 PST 2009

Hi,

I would like to make it possible for window managers to reserve a couple of key combinations no matter what other applications do. Specifically I want keys/combinations like Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Del, XF86VolumeUp to never be taken away by fulscreen apps that grab the keyboard(ex. Boswars) or by missbehaving/frozen apps.

In my understanding, I would need to make two changes:

-from X provide a way for an application to reserve keys forever

-modify the window manager (and maybe the service that replies to ex. XF86VolumeUp) such that it makes use of the reservation method.

What are a few alternatives for doing this? Which is the easiest, which is the most correct one?

I can understand if this is not how things work in X, and it is no problem if such a patch (if ever created) would never be accepted. I will give it some time anyway. Thank you for your time.

Thank you,
Alex