Delay between widget background and widget contents

Christoph Bartoschek bartoschek at or.uni-bonn.de
Sat Dec 5 02:17:33 PST 2009

Am Freitag, 4. Dezember 2009 schrieb Peter Harris:

> It's not clear where the Expose is coming from. It doesn't appear to be
> another (unrelated?) window is unmapped, but you don't see that in the
> trace since it doesn't include the rest of the desktop.
>
> I might suspect that the app is unnecessarily stalling waiting for an
> event, when it should just continue processing. But I have no evidence
> for this assertion.

I was wrong with the packets. The delay is caused earlier. The problem are all
the ListFonts calls.

The application calls XCreateFontSet with the string "-*-fixed-medium-r-*-
*-16-*,-*-*-medium-r-*-*-16-*"

The result is that lots of ListFonts requests and replys are exchanged
followed by ListFontsWithInfo requests.

Is it correct that libX11 behaves in this way? If it is necessary to send all
this requests, wouldn't it be possible to send all requests in a bundle?

Christoph