Idea: When users press Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, tell them the new way to kill Xorg

Timothy Normand Miller theosib at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 16:59:30 PST 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4+gmane at gmail.com> wrote:

> So Gentoo doesn't automatically recompile evdev when it recompiles the core?  If
> not, why not?

Gentoo is weird.  In this case, an update of X yields a WARNING that
you MIGHT have to recompile your drivers.  It's apparently the user's
responsibility to check the ebuild log to make sure that they catch
these things.

One time, I had a problem with some init service breaking.  When I
filed the bug report, the response I got was that they'd had
deprecation warnings in their "for months".  Of course, this is a
message that appears on the boot screen fleetingly, and since I use
this box as a server for extended periods, I almost never see any of
the boot messages.  (I almost never reboot, actually.)

Gentoo isn't a distro.  It's a website full of documentation and a
massive learning experience.  :)

--
Timothy Normand Miller
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~millerti