Idea: When users press Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, tell them the new way to kill Xorg

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4+gmane at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 02:45:21 PST 2009

Hi all,

Thank you for maintaining Xorg.  I use it often and like it.

Now that Ctrl+Alt+Bksp no longer defaults to killing Xorg, some people I've
spoken with don't know how to manually kill Xorg.  An idea:  It would be helpful
if, when you pressed Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, Xorg showed a message onscreen telling
users:  "To terminate Xorg, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, then log in as 'root', then type
the following command:  /usr/bin/killall -v -9 X"

I don't know how you could show the message.  Maybe you could use xmessage(1).
It might not always work, but when it would work, it would be helpful.

What do you think of my idea?

Kind regards,
-Jason Spiro