Performance improvement shown by x11perf not reflected in GtkPerf

Arnaud Mouiche arnaud.mouiche at thomson.net
Thu Dec 3 07:26:33 PST 2009

I think gtkperf is more a tool to test gtk non-regression or
optimization (on a same X server), than a tool to test X.

I tried to use it to see if EXA optimizations that optimize everything
by doing nothing (screen stay black), makes Gtkperf more efficient.
the result was that xorg without EXA management overhead (so without any
optmization) gives better results than xorg with a EXA optimization that
can't be more efficient...

Indeed, gtkperf ony creat pixmap, but doesn't try to move / blit /
compose... all the thing a acceleration can be used for.

so what you need is a perf tool more usefull that measure the user
experience feeling (scrolling, transparency, move, composition).

Does somebody know one ? I'm also interested.

arnaud