[PATH] XQuartz: Drop calls to alloca

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Tue Dec 1 07:49:48 PST 2009

Daniel Stone wrote:
> Meh.
>
> Anyone have any objection to declaring xalloc/xfree dead -- at least in
> the server -- and moving to plain old malloc/calloc/strdup/.../free?

On Windows, malloc in one shared library and free in another is invalid.
Being able to call back into the app via xalloc/xfree avoids this problem.

Also, we don't have LD_LIBRARY_PRELOAD, so having everything go through
the xalloc/xfree wrappers makes using a debug allocator much easier.
("Detours" exists, so losing xalloc/xfree wouldn't be the end of the
world, but Detours is more of a pain to use)

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.opentext.com/