Enhancements for Render composite request

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Aug 25 11:56:44 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 20:33 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> The way this is currently done with DRI2 is an implementation detail and
> clearly sub-optimal in some cases.

I haven't heard of any substantive issues with the DRI2 implementation,
if you have concerns about how it works, now would be an excellent time
to raise them.

>  It's a bad idea to encode these
> semantics in a rendering API.

OpenGL encodes these semantics in its rendering API, so at least we'd be
in good company.

> An extension which deals with synchronization, as opposed to rendering.

The operation we're interested in here is a copy from a back buffer to a
front buffer. Would you rather we add swapping controls to the render
extension or rendering operations to the sync extension?

keith.packard at intel.com