EXA patches

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Aug 3 03:34:01 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-02 at 16:47 +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> These patches split off some exa code into more readable seperate
> files. And a 3rd implementation is added, which brings trapezoids
> back to reasonable performance for me (=nouveau driver pixmaps). It's
> completely transparent for the driver, all they have to do is
> set the flag. On the long term (post xorg 7.5) i have plans to do
> something more elaborate, but there is no way i will have that done
> in time for xorg 7.5 and we hope to switch to driver pixmaps as soon
> as possible.

I like the general idea, but I've tried the patches, with the radeon
driver changed to set EXA_MIXED_PIXMAPS, and hit some issues:

      * x11perf -range aa10text,aaftext numbers went down by more than
        10%.
      * Trying to start compiz with DRI2 crashed the X server because
        exaGetPixmapDriverPrivate() returns NULL for a window pixmap.

Can you reproduce these?

BTW - I haven't had a chance to look at the patches in detail, so this
may be a stupid question - have you considered / played with only
allocating/keeping the system memory copy, damage record and valid
regions when necessary?