XInitThreads question

mhennin1 at gmu.edu mhennin1 at gmu.edu
Sat Jan 28 13:21:24 PST 2006

Hi:
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate list for this question.  Hopefully it is

I'm using the X11R7 modular distribution for the X client.  There seems to be a conflict within Xlib between the way various features work after calling XInitThreads.  I ran into this problem initially by using Gtk and the drag/drop feature.  The drag and drop works fine without the XInitThreads() call, but with it causes a lockup that I've traced to a deadlock between the display mutexes.

My real question is, in XlibInt.c, line 504, InternalLockDisplay().  This is where I've traced the problem.
_XWaitForReadable() calls InternalLockDisplay(), but I do not see the associated unlock.  Where does this unlock occur?
Is it safe for me to add an UnlockDisplay() right before the "return 0" in the _XWaitForReadable()?  I know it fixes my specific problem, I just want to make sure it doesnt produce other thread problems.

thanks for your help
--Matt