Top-most windows

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 18 11:34:06 PST 2006

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been out sick for a couple of days.

Keith Packard wrote On 01/12/06 17:22,:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 11:58 -0800, Deron Johnson wrote:>

>>+ It requires two changes to the GL API and associated driver
>>  interface. Furthermore, The API will need to evolve over the
>>  next couple of years as it moves from being an EXT extension
>>  to an ARB extension to part of the GL core. Clients of this
>>  interface will need to continually adapt to the syntax changes
>>  which arise from this evolution. And the earlier incarnations
>>  will need to still be supported for some time.
>

> These changes already exist in GLX 1.3, so there's no actual change to
> GL being proposed.

I must have missed something along the way. My understanding of what you
are proposing is that two new features be added to GL:

	1. Ability to render in IncludeInferiors mode

	2. Ability to dynamically switch the root window between
	   double-buffered and single-buffered mode.

Am I misunderstanding what you are proposing?

>>+ It will take orders of magnitude more time to implement than the
>>  alternative.
>

> We have an alternative available today which requires zero time to
> implement; while it seems kludgy to you, we're already living in a land
> of GL compositing manager kludges as we have no unified video memory
> environment. One more kludge won't break the bank.

Please describe this alternative so I can make sure I'm not
misunderstanding you. Are you referring to the RaiseWindow kludge?

> Requiring an extension for this means that you still have the
> client/server incompatibility issue to resolve, forcing your client to
> either fall back to the RaiseWindow solution or causing it to fail when
> the X server doesn't support your extension. Either case is bad for us;
> falling back means you have two code paths in your application to test,
> one of which will probably not work right unless you explicitly test it
> in QA, forcing you to choose between bug reports and increased QA time.

LG already fails to run on servers which don't have the necessary
features and this behavior has not been a problem.