Top-most windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 12 13:51:02 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 11:24 -0500, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> I tend to agree, although I am still not convinced that redirected windows
> should participate in clipping - automatically compsited windows should
> clip,
> but I don't think manually redirected ones should.

I tend to concur with this position, but making this work is not trivial
as input is clipped to this region...

> However, note that drawing to offscreen buffers is not strictly necessary to
> writing a GL based compositing manager. It can just use normal GL double
> buffering.

Yes, but until you can redirect GL windows, it seems rather
architecturally self-limiting -- you can use GL for compositing, but you
can't composite GL.

Also, until GL can refer to X pixmaps as textures, GL compositing
managers are severely performance limited as they suck and blow window
contents out and back into video memory. So, Render-based compositing
managers will be significantly better performing until this is fixed,
making GL compositing more of a technology demonstration than a
practical environment for most people.

keith.packard at intel.com