topmost windows

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Wed Jan 11 13:42:29 PST 2006

Keith Packard wrote:

> We discovered that the existing implementation would let the compositing
> manager turn on RedirectSubwindows and then explicitly turn off Redirect
> for its subwindow. Does this work for you? It may seem like something of
> a kludge, but it does seem functionally equivalent to me. It does
> restrict the unredirection of these windows to the same client
> connection.

I tested this and it turns out that I don't need to do anything special
to unredirect my pseudo-root window because it is not a direct child
of the root window--it's a grandchild--so it never gets redirected in
the first place.  (Java3D inserts a window between the root window and
my pseudo-root window). So I'm good on this issue.