help needed urgently for problem in linking the shared libraries ( .so )

swapnil kamble swap.kamble at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 09:49:08 PST 2006

Hi all,
       I am Swapnil  . I  wanted to  link the shared libraries . Let
me tell you how I tried to link them but I am not too sure whether it
is correct or not ,I did it according to tutorial . I wrote some
libraries by using X lib for instance some header "test.h" in which I
wrote function prototypes , a sample program sample.c and body of
functions defined in header is in file def.c .   As all files are in
same dir then there no problem while compiling and running . Next I
created Makefile it consists of following statements

all:
     gcc -lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib/  -lncurses -lm  sample.c def.c -o try

till here everything is OK after this I modified Makefile to create
shared libraries like this

all:
      gcc -lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib/  -lncurses -lm  -shared sample.c
def.c -o try.so

Shared object created successfully . then I copied header test,h to
/usr/include then I copied try.so to /usr/X11R6/lib  then I run
command
#ldconfig
 to update library database (No errors here)
Next If try to compile program , then I get error for functions which
I have included

, "sample.c:(.text+0x2a3): undefined reference to `function_name'

If you know something is wrong here or way is to do it this then
please tell me immediately I would have been very thankful to them .

 Hare Krishna
...Swapnil