Top-most windows

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jan 6 17:16:39 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 14:28 -0500, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> The right semantics seem to me that manually redirected windows would
> not clip
> anything. They are not visible on-screen after all.

However, they *can* be placed on the screen by a competent application,
and if clipped correctly, they will not be affected by drawing to
underlying siblings. If you don't clip their underlying siblings to them
manually redirected windows, you'll trash the contents.

> If that's too hard to implement, then note that a 'topmost' window is
> not actually
> necessary. The compositing manager only needs the window to be topmost when
> it is actually drawing, ie:
>
>     grab_server();
>     XRaiseWindow();
>     draw_scene();
>     ungrab_server();
>
> would be sufficient.

This seems like it will work, although having a mechanism which doesn't
require grabs is somewhat nicer looking.

-keith