Ongoing discussions about integrating X11 into a 3D environment

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Fri Jan 6 13:46:40 PST 2006

Hi David,

How is Croquet going? Looking Glass has been going pretty well and
we've been able to build a good-sized community to work on it.

I wanted to let you know that I am having ongoing discussions
with the Xorg folks about officially adding some new features
to Xorg to support running X apps in 3D window systems. I've
spent the last 2 years exploring a lot of different issues and
I've come up with a fairly robust prototype, especially in
the area of input redirection. We are using my prototype as
a starting point for discussions about what official Xorg
features should be added.

I wanted to invite you, or someone else from Croquet, to participate
in these discussions if you would like. The alias is:
xorg-arch at lists.freedesktop.org. Go to the following URL
to add yourself:

I remember that Keith Packard cobbled something together for
you a while back which lets X apps run in Croquet, but I
don't know whether you have an interest in going beyond this.
But at this point Keith and I are discussing features which will
be product-quality and industrial strength, and I wanted to
include you if you are interested.

	-Deron Johnson
	Project Looking Glass
	Sun Microsystems