Adding new modules to CVS and future modular releases

Wed Jan 4 13:12:31 PST 2006

The addition of the glxcompmgr to the Xorg modular CVS recently raises
a question about what modules should be added going forward.

In this case, glxcompmgr seems obvious as something that should be hosted
in Xorg CVS, but not everything people may want to add may be so clear cut.
For instance, we pulled pclcomp shortly before release - if the license
issues were cleared up, should it be included directly in Xorg CVS/releases
or just become another one of the external dependencies, since it's really
not X related, even if Xprint happens to use it when generated PCL output?

The criteria until now was simple - if it was in the monolith and not dead,
it went into modular, and nothing else was allowed until 7.0 was done, with
the intent to open up after 7.0.

What rules do we want to use going forward?   Do we need set criteria or a
simple "Ask the release manager - if they think it's obvious, they say yes,
if not, they send on to xorg-modular or xorg-arch" ?   Do we want different
criteria for CVS hosting vs. including in the release?   Should we allow
anyone who wants to maintain one of the old X.org contrib programs to have
CVS space even if it's not something we'd formally consider part of the
rollup releases?

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com

P.S. My first nomination for added modules would be asking KeithP to move
xscope CVS from keithp.com to fd.o:/xorg/app/ - though xcompmgr, xcb and
anything else still only found in the old modular trees on fd.o are also
clearly in need of migration to the official modular CVS.