OGL Crashing X

Steve Damm shinhalsafar at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 2 10:16:18 PST 2006

Hello,
    I've been running/programming OpenGL apps in Linux for awhile,
particularly using Mandriva 2006 and KDE.  I recently installed that
system on a laptop of mine and I am running into a huge problem in any
Window Manager but failsafe mode.

    I'll use KDE as my example but the same errors also occured in
IceWM.  If I open glxgears for example, it runs fine, 600+ fps, I can
resize the window, maximize, minimize and it all works.  However if I
try to MOVE the window (clicking on titlebar and moving it) as soon as I
place the window in its new spot KDE shutsdowns and I'm back at the KDM
login screen.  Other GL apps that I've programmed myself encounter the
same problem, as well if I try to switch to fullscreen in any GL app the
same crash occurs.

    Once this error has occured, if I do not restart the computer fully
then the graphics remain screwed up behind the scene's.  After the
crash, if I log back in and run glxgears again my FPS is about 3-5
instead of 600+ before the crash.  I also cannot switch to any other
terminals (Ctrl+Alt1-6), if I do I just see a screen full of colors.

    The oddest part is that if I run failsafe mode, EVERYTHING works
100% fine.  I can run my homemade apps in fullscreen mode, switch
between them, no crashing at all.  So since it is working fine in
failsafe I dismissed KDE as the problem, dismissed GL as the problem,
and was left with X being the issue.

My comp specs:
Acer Aspire 3000
1.8ghz
512 MB Ram
SiS M760GX 64MB (yes, sad, SiS drivers)

Any assistance?
Any way I can gather more info on the problem to report the bug? Where
would I report the bug?

Thanks in advance,
Halsafar