[DEPRECATION] Fullscreen entrypoints in DRI protocol

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Sep 11 11:04:37 PDT 2005

The OpenFullScreen and CloseFullScreen requests in the DRI protocol are
deprecated in the client for some time now (shipped disabled in Xorg 6.7 and
later, and in XFree86 4.5; initially disabled in the old DRI tree about 21
months ago).  As far as I know these functions are intended to be
driver-internal, and no driver currently available will call them.

However, the server-side implementation remains.  Removing it would cut about
200 lines from the generic DRI support and another 100 or so spread across
various drivers.  Only the savage driver has non-trivial FullScreen hooks,
which appear to have come straight from the S3 code drop, and were committed
after libGL had the FullScreen calls disabled.  There's also some abortive
SLI support in the tdfx driver that would have been activated when entering
fullscreen, but that code has never been enabled.  As far as nm can tell me,
none of the closed DRI drivers (fglrx, powervr, 3dlabs wildcat, xgi)
implement the FullScreen hooks, so this code looks to be totally dead.

So I'd like to drop the server-side support, and if anyone thinks it's worth
keeping I'd like them to speak up.

- ajax