libXScrnSaver versus libXss

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Mon Oct 3 09:17:06 PDT 2005

Previous monolithic releases of Xorg and XFree86, the screensaver
library was "libXss".  In the modular X11R7 RC0 release, this
library was renamed to libXScrnSaver, which is a lot more
descriptive of what it is, but later in the 0.99.1 release of
the libXScrnSaver package, the installed .so name is reverted
to "libXss.so.*".

This seems to be the only package that has a installed .so
which is a different name than the name of the tarball.  In the
interest of consistency and reduction of confusion, I recommend
that the tarball and CVS module get renamed to libXss.

I agree that libXScrnSaver is a better name for this library,
but if that logic is followed to rename a library to something
more meaningful, one could argue also to rename libXv to libXvideo,
to rename libXp to libXprint, and similar with other libraries.

Whatever the naming is given to any library, I think that the
CVS module and modular X package that contains that library,
should be named the same name to avoid confusion.

libXss has been shipped in the past both as a static lib, and
as a shared lib, so if there is a long term rationale to rename
libXss to be named libXScrnSaver, then we should do that now,
and provide backward compat symlinks named libXss.so.* that
point to the new library name.

I thought I'd post this here first for discussion, and then
file a bug report once concensus can be reached.

TIA