Usage of ANSI-C |const| in X11 code...

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at redhat.com
Sat Mar 26 09:57:02 PST 2005

Adam Jackson wrote:

>Well with autotools we can detect this at compile time... ;)
>
>As with the const keyword, I don't know of _any_ compiler that doesn't support
>'inline' as a keyword.  Which means I'm perfectly willing to just not worry
>about it until some poor sucker with an ancient compiler complains.
>
>In other words, naked 'inline' is fine, as far as I'm concerned.
>
>We appear to use both __inline and __inline__ for this, as well as the
>'inline' keywords itself (mi/miarc.c for example).

The reason I used __inline__ in the fbmmx code is that that was the
easiest way to get it
compiling with the minimum amount of Imake pain. The fb directory is
compiled with "-ansi"
which causes gcc to complain about non C89 constructions like "inline".

When we move to auto* I completely agree: we should just use inline.

Søren