Input shaping

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Jun 10 20:15:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:35:27PM +0200, Felix Schulte wrote:
> On 6/10/05, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 06:12:38PM +0200, Felix Schulte wrote:
> > > Is the Shape extension now broken in Xnest and Xdmx?
> >
> > If you care about Xnest, you might want to look at any number of the
> > crashes that make it unusable, including the current really fun one
> > where the server segfaults on regeneration.  Or when you ask it to do
> > Composite.  Or the one where it doesn't support Render.  Or the one
> > where it doesn't support SHM.  Or ...
> >
> > So, 'no more broken than it already is'.
> These comments are *not* very constructive. I've been asking about the
> commit of the Input Shape patch and not about optional features such
> as Render/Composite or general rants about Xnest instability.

Regardless, the point is that Xnest is more or less unusable at the
moment, with some suggestions on where to start fixing (mainly the crash
on regeneration/exit) for people who do care about Xnest.  If you were
painting that as 'this code cannot go in if it breaks Xnest', then it's
sort of pointless, because I don't think we should be forced to consider
a server that segfaults on regeneration/exit, and apparently has done
since pre-6.8.2.