X authorization problems in a mobile environment

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Aug 10 02:56:37 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 16:52 +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Thought about something like this too. The wildcard entry would get
> rewritten whenever a new entry for localhost is added. Removal would
> be difficult as you would have to compare the 'payload' or you don't
> care to leave a stale wildcard entry behind.

Right, I don't care about stale entries as there would only be one such.

> Also I wanted to avoid such ambiguities as they still leave 'holes'
> behind - cases in which the solution may not work.

If your hostname is constant, the static entry isn't ever used, it's
only when the hostname doesn't match an entry in the file that it uses
the static entry. I think this only makes it more likely that things
would work, and shouldn't ever break a working environment.

Yes, it's probably not a perfect solution, but I think it's easier than
playing around with the DISPLAY string or other user-visible changes.

-keith