X authorization problems in a mobile environment

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Aug 9 03:15:55 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 12:36 +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Right. The purpose of my email to the architecture mailing list was to
> get some feedback if people find the approach objectionable or have
> better ideas.
> I personally prefer it over background applications that mess with
> configuration file entries.

How about changing the .Xauthority file so we have a 'wildcard'
hostname? Then we write out two entries, the one with the real hostname
and one with the wildcard hostname.

The reader then tries to find the real hostname, failing that, the
wildcard entry.

This will only fail if the hostname changes while sharing home
directories over NFS; I suggest that this case is not common...