Was |int| always thought to be 32bit ?

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Apr 26 03:00:59 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 02:40 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> Someone is likely to come along complaining they can't build a
> workabout X11 on Cray or some other obscure platform.

Actually, if you look at how Xlib stubs are put together, you see the
use of bitfields (the "B16, B32" macros).

There was a Cray, now mercifully retired, I believe, on which
sizeof(short)=sizeof(int)=sizeof(long)=sizeof(pointer) == 64 bits.

You got only two native datatype sizes: 8 and 64 bits.

I don't know that that case is worth worrying about any more, though
with Xcb going to machine generated stubs, causing similar code
generation should be simple.
				- Jim