Proprosed break in libGL / DRI driver ABI

Julien Lafon julien.lafon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:38:23 PDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 2:23 AM, Roland Mainz <roland.mainz at nrubsig.org> wrote:
> Brian Paul wrote:
> [snip]
> > > What about making MAX_WIDTH and MAX_HEIGHT runtime-configurable - would
> > > that be possible (for stack allocations the Mesa code then has to depend
> > > on |alloca()|) ?
> >
> > Probably do-able, but a lot of work.
>
> Depends... if |alloca()| can safely be used on all platforms supported
> by Mesa then this should be no problem to implement. Alternatively the
> code could simply assume that the C compiler supports the C++ feature
> (BTW: Is this supported in C99, too ?) that an array can be dynamically
> sized at declaration (however that's less portable).
We already investigated this option but abandoned the idea after
realising that common data types such as struct span_arrays and all
its consumers must be changed. Without using C++  features it may be
too much hassle and is the reason why a bump of the MAX_WIDTH/HEIGHT
values is more feasible here.

Julien
--
Julien Lafon