Proprosed break in libGL / DRI driver ABI

Julien Lafon julien.lafon at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 06:51:05 PDT 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 3:37 PM, Brian Paul <brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> Julien Lafon wrote:
> > On Apr 5, 2005 10:11 PM, Brian Paul <brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> > Will increasing MAX_WIDTH/HEIGHT affect applications which run in
> > small windows or only those which use resolutions exceeding the 4Kx4K
> > limit?
>
> Increasing MAX_WIDTH/HEIGHT will result in more memory usage
> regardless of window size.
Do you know how much memory is additionally allocated? If it is less
than 1MB then it may not be worth to worry about...

> As is, you can't exceed 4K x 4K resolution without increasing
> MAX_WIDTH/HEIGHT.  Your glViewport call will be clamped to those
> limits if you specify larger.
Let me reformulate my question: Will increasing MAX_WIDTH/HEIGHT break
any existing application at normal video screen sizes?

> >>But there probably aren't too many people generating 4Kx4K images.
> >
> > We've been running tests with the glutdemo applications and Xprint at
> > higher resolutions (6Kx8K window size) and did not notice any bad
> > rendering using the software rasterizer.
>
> How large are your triangles?
I thought we have tested all combinations ranging from very small
triangles up to full window size.

> The interpolation error will accumulate and be most noticable with
> very large triangles.
Can you point me to one of the glutdemo applications which may likely fail?

Julien
--
Julien Lafon
Senior Staff Engineer, Hitachi