Discussion Thread: Thin Client X Window Systems

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Tue Apr 5 08:45:27 PDT 2005

Jim McQuillan wrote:

> SSH works nicely, until you try to run lots of thin clients off a single
>
>server.  I've got a server with 140 thin clients.  Pushing all that
>traffic through ssh, which is out-of-process, would kill that server.

Yes, this kind of information, especially if armed with quantitative data,
is what we should be discussing.
Currently,  ssh on Solaris suits me best, but on other occasions,
other platforms, vnc, X on M$, cygwin worked well.
I connect to quiet machines. We have some extemely busy, big
servers, but I'm not allowed to experiment on those.

>>NX seems the most promising, although there is funny licensing abound in
>>that project, and we can't just merge it straight in.
>>

>I'm hearing very good things about NX, but like you say, the licensing
>could be a problem.
>

>>So, my question is, should we try to encourage and develop
>>low-bandwidth/high-latency solutions, or should we just sit back and let
>>SSH and NX keep on doing this?

you said the code words "sit back".
The answer is No, here's an opportunity to do good things.

> I think that's the purpose of this working group. To bring the issues
>
>to light, so we can toss around ideas, and either identify existing
>solutions, or form a plan to build solutions.
>
>Jim McQuillan
>jam at Ltsp.org

Lets be reminded that the issues are not bounded to network performance
issues,
they include any attributes of non-single-user and non-single-cpu X
environments.

skk