Discussion Thread: Thin Client X Window Systems

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Mon Apr 4 10:05:51 PDT 2005

Hey.

This message is intended to start a thread of discussion of X issues
that pertain to reduced or
non-Linux and non-Unix desktop environments, ie LTSP, X-on-Windows,
SunRay, VNC, X terminals, embedded X.

These environments are in danger of being ignored or outright crippled
by the onslaught of major feature
advances that we see happening on the mainstream Linux and Unix
desktops, yet, there are
considerable populations of users and developers for whom
one-organism-one-OS is not a preferance.

We need to develop ideas that advance these populations as well.  Issues
are easy to find: better management
of heavy high and low bandwidth networks, the effect of many Gnome and
KDE class desktops on shared
central servers,  hot desktopping,  remote device attachment.

Network extensibility is just about the primary advantage touted for the
X architecture, and we need to
promote and improve the promise of it in all ways.   Let's start this
discussion here in the xorg-arch list
with the idea that it will soon grow into a strong enough topic to
justify its own working group.

Thanks for listening. (I'm putting Jim M. on the spot to help drive this!)

Stuart Kreitman