[Xprint] Re: Unified video+print Xserver / was: Re: Modularization mailing list and initial strawman proposal

Egbert Eich eich at freedesktop.org
Sat Apr 2 23:51:42 PST 2005

Julien Lafon writes:
 > Xprint applications are scheduled by the X server as normal X clients
 > and do not behave differently. I do not see a different of having two
 > video cards or one video card and a print screen in one Xserver.

Multiple heads on a display share some common infrastructure.
The entire input semantics is (currently) coupled to a single
focus.
I may be wrong but there is much less common infrastructure
between display and print screens.
Scheduling print clients along side with display clients in
the same Xserver instead only exhibits the disadvantages of
a single threaded Xserver.

Egbert.