[Xprint] Re: Unified video+print Xserver / was: Re:Modularization mailing list and initial strawman proposal

Egbert Eich eich at freedesktop.org
Sun Apr 3 00:18:43 PST 2005

Roland Mainz writes:

 > See my other reply to this thread - it's doing rasterizing in the
 > Xserver (as the decision whether vector data or bitmap data are
 > generated is up to the print DDX). However it doesn't really harm
 > anything since the RASTER driver operates at low resolution monocrome
 > (1bit StaticGray) visuals (originally it was written as test
 > implementation and can still be used for old matrix printers, but beyond
 > that point I don't see much use for it).

There exists an unfortunate misconception of Xprint that stems from
the pure existence of the raster driver.
Therefore it cannot be stressed enough that the raster driver was
written for a proof of concept implementation and (unfortunately)
survived in the code.
The raster driver argument always gets in the way if the real
arguments pro/con Xprint.

Egbert.