[RFC] drm/kms: control display brightness through drm_connector properties

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Apr 8 10:26:24 UTC 2022

Hi,

On 4/8/22 12:16, Simon Ser wrote:
> Would it be an option to only support the KMS prop for Good devices,
> and continue using the suboptimal existing sysfs API for Bad devices?
>
> (I'm just throwing ideas around to see what sticks, feel free to ignore.)

Currently suid-root or pkexec helpers are used to deal with the
/sys/class/backlight requires root rights issue. I really want to
be able to disable these helpers at build time in e.g. GNOME once
the new properties are supported in GNOME.  So that distros with
a new enough kernel can reduce their attack surface this way.

Regards,

Hans