Touchscreen calibration matrix changes

Teemu K maillinglists18 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 03:02:22 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 5:21 PM Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 15:31:59 +0300
> Teemu K <maillinglists18 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get touch calibration working on Wayland/Weston for
> > resistive touch. I can get the calibration points and calculate
> > calibration matrix values, but when I call
> > libinput_device_config_calibration_set_matrix and then read it back it
> > would seem that the matrix is changed, but the actual touchscreen does
> > not indicate so. Ie. if I calibrate the touch clearly wrong it still
> > behaves like it would have been calibrated perfectly.
>
> Hi,
>
> what exactly do you mean by "when I call
> libinput_device_config_calibration_set_matrix", what is "I" there?
By "I" I mean the application.

> > If I set the same values to udev rule like this:
> > ATTRS{name}=="tsc2007", ENV{LIBINPUT_CALIBRATION_MATRIX}="1.29342,
> > -0.0223598, -0.135092, -0.0272545, -1.11435, 1.04368"
> >
> > They get taken in use and I can read those values as default values
> > with libinput_device_config_calibration_get_default_matrix - function.
>
> That's right.
>
> > Is there something else that needs to be done to get the updated
> > matrix taken in use or is there known issue with Wayland/Weston given
> > that it is quite old version Wayland 1.17.0/Weston 6.0.1.
> > Unfortunately I'm stuck with those versions for now.
>
> I'm not sure what problem you have. The udev rule works, right?
Yeah, but the problem was replacing those defaults with the calibrated
values with that ibinput_device_config_calibration_set_matrix -
function.

> Or do you mean updating the calibration matrix while Weston is already
> running?
>
> Did you write a new program that simply calls
> libinput_device_config_calibration_set_matrix() and then expect Weston
> to pick that up when you run it?
Weston is already running and I'm trying to set a new matrix in use
for Weston. Is that not what the
ibinput_device_config_calibration_set_matrix - function is meant for?

> If so, then libinput just does not work that way. There is no persistent
> configuration in libinput, and any setting you make is local in the
> in-memory libinput data structure. The udev rules are the persistent
> configuration. That's why e.g. calibration_helper option exists in
> weston.ini, so that you could have your own way of storing the
> calibration in udev rules.
This is not the issue. I'm very well aware that there is no persistent
storage in libinput and I'm not trying to use it as such. I'm trying
to set a new matrix when Weston is already running.

But I ended up copying the implementation from weston-touch-calibrator
as you mentioned instead and it worked so this issue is solved.

Thanks.

-TeemuK