xkbcommon: Converting keysym to keycode

adlo adloconwy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 08:34:49 UTC 2021

Basically the program I’m working on was originally designed for X11, and I’m trying to adapt it to Wayland. I’m trying to find an equivalent to XKeysymToKeycode().

> it doesn't, but if you look at xkbcli how-to-type and it's source
> (tools/how-to-type.c) that's the closest approximation.

What does this program do? Does it iterate through all possible keycodes and lookup the keysym for them?

> Main reason is that the keycode->keysym conversion is one-way only and it's
> not 100% reliable to go back. e.g. if a modifier is locked/latched you cannot
> access certain keysyms without unlocking that modifier, etc.

How would I deal with capital letters with regards to getting a keycode from a keysym?

> KEY_TAB is defined in linux/input-event-codes.h. XKB uses those keycodes + 8
> for the evdev ruleset (see /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev for the mapping)
> and it goes from there. If you're using a different ruleset you're going to
> get interesting results but evdev is effectively hardcoded everywhere anyway,
> so you won't.

Is linux/input-event-codes.h keycodes or keysyms?