[Nouveau] i2c-dev driver corrupts display?

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:40:22 UTC 2021

HARDWARE:
Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop
nVIDIA Geforce2 Go (NV11) with Intel AGP

PROBLEM:
Display corruption whenever nouveau module was loaded, seemingly at random.

CULPRIT:
Whenever the i2c-dev.ko driver/module was loaded, the display would become
corrupted, or as if the timing became out of sync with hardware specifications,
with weird moving pixels throughout the display.

If the i2c-dev is built into the kernel, possible the display would turn-off
upon nouveau module loading, but could be possibly worked around (I think) by
building the nouveau driver statically into the kernel, possibly loading prior
to i2c-dev loading?

Been having this problem for many years, finally found it, and nothing found
via Google on i2c-dev & nouveau.

WORKAROUND:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
blacklist i2c_dev

Or, rebuild the kernel without i2c-dev.

Quite a few Linux distributions either compile the i2c-dev into the kernel, or
load the module during booting, creating significant display problems (as noted
above) when trying to install from a Linux distribution CD/DVD.  Most people
performing an install, I'm guessing, are then simply performing a nomodeset
during boot and/or reverting to VESA/UVESAFB.

--
Roger
http://rogerx.sdf.org/