[Mesa-dev] libdrm versioning - switch to 19.0.0?

Gert Wollny gw.fossdev at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 17:26:22 UTC 2019

Am Freitag, den 11.10.2019, 09:47 -0700 schrieb Dylan Baker:

> I prefer this to <year>.<any>
>
> To echo Dave's concern, if we ever decided to have a non-backwards
> compatible API change (say Intel decided that since we don't use
> libdrm_intel anymore we don't want to maintain it and want to drop
> it) we'd need to be able to bump the major version to signal that to
> downstreams.

With my Debian developer hat on: an API/ABI change should be signalled
by a change of the library major SO version - downstream will note
this, the version of the tarball as such is secondary.

It is also a good idea to increment the minor version whenever a new
interface is added (I guess this is the second part of what Dave was
referring to).

Best,
Gert