[Mesa-dev] GitLab Migration: Users and Groups

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed May 30 22:07:06 UTC 2018

Hey,

On 30 May 2018 at 21:40, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Given that not everyone will be a master by default, it would be good
> to also set out criteria for adding and removing masters. I'm not
> proposing anything heavy -- perhaps by a majority vote of the existing
> masters to either add or remove someone? And presumably also on
> personal request for a master to remove themselves as a result of no
> longer being involved in the project or whatever.)
>
> Any such actions should probably be logged somewhere as well, e.g. a
> bugzilla ticket, so that we don't end up in a scenario where we're
> wondering who added whom when and why.
>
> [Sorry for the annoying questions, but I think that figuring this
> stuff out explicitly up-front is a lot better than at emergency time
> when something bad happens.]

I think it's a good question!

Noting that I'm extremely firmly into 'person with less than 100
commits in tree' territory, and not at all wearing my fd.o admin hat,
I'd suggest documenting this in a contribution document on the site,
or something like a separate CONTRIBUTING.md file, which is starting
to become somewhat of a standard. That way, commits to that file _are_
the log, carrying author, committer, R-b, A-b, and all the usual ways
we track provenance of things.

Cheers,
Daniel