[Mesa-dev] Gitlab migration

Jordan Justen jordan.l.justen at intel.com
Wed May 23 21:48:39 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-23 12:34:11, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> Mesa developers,
>
> tl;dr.  Please go to gitlab.freedesktop.org, create your account, and
> upload your SSH keys.  Instructions are the bottom of this e-mail.
>
> The freedesktop.org admins are trying to move as many projects and services
> as possible over to gitlab and somehow I got hoodwinked into spear-heading
> it for mesa.

I thought we'd be able to decide if or when. It sounds like this is
decided.

> There are a number of reasons for this change.  Some of those
> reasons have to do with the maintenance cost of our sprawling and aging
> infrastructure.  Some of those reasons provide significant benefit to the
> project being migrated:
>
>  * Project-led user/rights management.  If we're on gitlab, project
> maintainers can give people access and we no longer have to wait for the
> freedesktop admins to add a new person.  And the freedesktop admins don't
> have to take the time.
>
>  * Better web UI for git.

s/Better/Worse/

> Ok, so some people will argue with me on this
> one but it's at least how I feel. :-)

/me bows

>  * [Optional] Integrated commit history and issue tracking.  Bugzilla tags
> are great but gitlab ties things together much better.
>
>  * [Optional] Merge-request workflow.  With the rise of github, there are
> many developers out there who are used to the merge-request workflow and
> switching to that may lower the barrier to entry for new contributors.

On the down side, the contribution/review history is now tied up in
the gitlab infrastructure rather than a simple email archive.

>  * [Optional] Built-in wiki support

The github (and gitlab) integrated wiki's look fairly busy/crappy with
all the gibhub/gitlab UI around the contents.

>  * [Optional] Built-in CI.  With gitlab, we can provide a docker image and
> CI tasks to run in it which can do things such as build the website, run
> build-tests, etc.  I'm not sure if build-testing Android is feasible but we
> could at least build-test autotools, meson, scons, and maybe even run some
> LLVMpipe tests.

Why can this only be done with gitlab?

> Before anyone freaks out about the possible changes that may be incoming, I
> would like to make it crystal clear that many of the above things are
> optional.

Yeah, this doesn't feel like a steamroller at all.

-Jordan