XDC 2018 feedback

Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez siglesias at igalia.com
Tue Oct 2 07:00:14 UTC 2018

On 01/10/18 23:30, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Samuel,
>
> On Monday, 1 October 2018 17:40:02 EEST Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Now that XDC 2018 is over, it is time to gather feedback!
>>
>> We would like to ask to all the attendees and the ones following us
>> online for feedback about the conference. We are going to forward the
>> received feedback to X.Org Foundation in order to take it into account
>> for future events.
>>
>> Feel free to reply publicly here, or send it privately to us
>> (xdc2018 at gpul.org).
> First of all, I would like to thank the GPUL, Igalia, UDC and all other
> organizers for their amazing work. As Daniel mentioned, not only did
> everything go smooth, but the attention given to small details was very
> impressive.
>
> Holding the event at UDC interactions between the university students and our
> community. During the closing session we have been told that around 30
> students attended talks, and I believe that in itself is a nice achievement as
> all interactions with the academic world are beneficial for both sides.

Part of that success is that an introductory talk on Mesa took place two
weeks before the conference in the Computer Science Faculty. We had ~20
attendees there. This is something we should repeat in future years too,
maybe including talks on other parts of the graphics stack too.

>  For
> future events organized in a similar context, I wonder whether we couldn't go
> one step further by lowering the barrier to interaction between the two
> groups. Announcing at the beginning of the conference that students will join
> could improve the awareness of community members. There also could be other
> ways to make our hallway track discussions more open to students who may be
> too shy to interact.

Right.

> Another area of possible improvement could be scheduling. Most presentations
> ended up well before the end of the 45 minutes time slot. I don't know if this
> was due to miscommunication of timings between the schedule committee and the
> presenters or to other reasons, but it felt that we could have had a few more
> talks included in the program (given that we had more submissions than
> available slots).

This was already discussed in this thread. We need to improve this for
future events.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sam