XDS2007: hotels, etc

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Aug 29 08:34:20 PDT 2008

Hi,
First of all, sorry for the massively delayed announcements at every
step of the way: it's been a very hectic few months for all of us, and
these all co-incided at roughly the same time.  One person would be
horrifically busy for a while, then when it came to needing someone
else to do stuff, _they'd_ be horrifically busy for a while, et al.
Currently it's just me who's horrifically busy. :)

Anyway, as I won't be able to attend XDS myself (unfortunately),
Matthew Garrett (CCed) will be the on-site organiser de semaine.  If
you have any problems during the week or so, please let him know, as
there's not a great deal I can do about it from Helsinki.  In the
leadup to this, though, please feel free to continue to contact me.

I've been searching for a good group hotel for a while, but have been
unable to find anything even remotely suitable.  Everywhere that
promised they had excellent availability and yes sir, we can definitely
take all 30 people, have had from zero to four rooms free.  Mostly
zero, though.  The only option I have left to recommend is to use sites
like laterooms.com, lastminute.co.uk, expedia.co.uk and hotels.co.uk to
try to find rooms near Princes St/Waverley station (central Edinburgh;
the bus to the zoo leaves from Princes St).  Hopefully you'll all manage
to coalesce during the evenings and thereabouts.  I'm assured by the zoo
staff that the pub right across from the zoo is quite good itself, so
that should be a ludicrously easy option.  In general though, Princes
St seems to be the main activity centre.

I also pulled up a bunch of possibly useful stuff from The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/aug/12/edinburgh.shortbreaks for
those who might be staying a little longer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/aug/06/edinburgh.top10
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/jul/14/edinburgh.readersguide
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/aug/08/festivals.edinburgh

So, in summary, sorry, thanks, and hope you all have a great conference.

Cheers,
Daniel