xserver-xorg.synaptics question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Apr 27 20:10:02 PDT 2015

On Monday 27 April 2015 22:02:42 Felix Miata wrote:
> Gene Heskett composed on 2015-04-27 21:24 (UTC-0400):
> >>
> >> what exactly do you want to do? ignore the device completely?
> >>
> >> Section "InputClass"
> >>    Identifier "ignore touchpads"
> >>    MatchDriver "synaptics"
> >>    Option "Ignore" "on"
> >> EndSection
> >
> > I put that into the file, then renamed it to Xorg.conf when that
> > didn't work, followed by another reboot, no difference in the
> > behaviour or the Xorg.0.log.
> >
> > Does it belong in the Xsessions.d subdir?
>
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ is for scripts to be executed, not .conf files.
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

Mint 17.1 Xfce.  I had to make that directory, and moved it to
50-synaptics.conf in that otherwise empty, newly created dir.  Rebooted
now, I'll check.  Nope, not a noticeable difference.  Copy of Xorg.0.log
attached.

> > And what is its correct name?
>
> Name isn't crucial if in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. 50-synaptics.conf
> should be fine. 05-input.conf should do just as well.
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf should work too, but you don't want overlap between
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/* trying to control the same device - you might
> wind up with everything being ignored.
As of the last reboot, correspnding to the Xorg.0.log attached, there is
no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

May be you can see something in the logfile I cannot?

Thanks Felix.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)