letter "x" typed automatically and how to disable hotkeys?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Sep 29 13:51:58 PDT 2014

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Now I see:  keycode 133 (keysym 0xffeb, Super_L)
> that is my "Windows" key on my left keyboard below the "z" and "x" keys.
> I cannot see the Windows key in my console though but I can type it
> using "showkey -s" (not under X11). I pressed the "Windows" key four
> times and I moved my laptop lid four times and got:
> 0x9c
> 0xe0 0x5b
> 0xe0 0xdb
> 0xe0 0x5b
> 0xe0 0xdb
> 0xe0 0x5b 0xe0 0xdb
> 0xe0 0x5b 0x2d 0xad 0xe0 0xdb
> 0xe0 0x5b 0x2d 0xad 0xe0 0xdb
> x0xe0 0x5b 0x2d 0xad 0xe0 0xdb
> 0xe0 0x5b 0x2d 0xad 0xe0 0xdb
>
> The "0xe0 0x5b" is the Windows key pressed and the "0xe0 0xdb" is it
> released.
>
> I don't see "0x78" which is the "x" key.  So I use "showkey -s" and
> press the three special Dell keys on top right of my keyboard. Maybe
> they are called "hot keys".
>
> The first button does:
> 0xe0 0x5b 0x2d 0xad 0xe0 0xdb
> The other two buttons don't appear to do anything. The first button
> is identified with a large and small gear.
> Now I see this lights up when ever a "x" is typed automatically.
> So it is not my "x" key but is the special Dell keys not on keyboard
> (and not replaced).

I was able to workaround this by running:

xbindkeys --multikey -n
and then moving my lid a few times. This output:

"NoCommand"
    m:0x40 + c:53
    Mod4 + x
"NoCommand"
    m:0x40 + c:133
    Mod4 + Super_L

So I put that into a ~/.xbindkeysrc and I ran xbindkeys daemon. Now my
"x" key works but I can move the laptop around and see the tools button
light turn on but no "x" is typed. By the way, I found to Dell forum
postings about this (on a different laptop) that also mentioned the "x"
coming from the Windows multimedia key and the fix was for both to take
the hardware apart and put something to insulate the key from metal and
some connection.  I will need to take that hardware apart. But for now
at least I have an X11 solution!