Help? Xinerama with two cards

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 12 15:13:12 PDT 2013

On 2013-07-11 19:04 (GMT-1000) David Iannucci composed:

>> KDE 4.11 has KScreen, which is supposed to provide easy management of
>> multi screen configuration.

> Trying to go more minimalist, not more bloatist :-) :-)

You might have to anyway. According to the last section on
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead#Xinerama it appears what's
getting in the way of success is KDE itself.

In spite of having seen that over an hour ago, I've been spending more time
trying myself. With the Radeon card removed from the slot, and cables
connected to the only two ports, the  log reports.

(II) intel(0): Output VGA1 connected
(II) intel(0): Output HDMI1 connected
(II) intel(0): Output DP1 disconnected

The motherboard has nothing like a DP connector or solder points where one
might have been. The HDMI1 port has only a DVI-D connector, which I connect
to the TV with a 25' DVI to HDMI cable.

When I put the Radeon back in the slot, the string HDMI is nowhere to be
found in the log, though this may be about a BIOS setting. The BIOS has 5
video configuration options "Initiate Graphic Adapter" described asr which to
use as primary boot device, with nothing that explains how to select the one
most appropriate:

IGD
PCI/IGD
PCI/PEG
PEG/IGD
PEG/PCI (default after clear CMOS and load optimal defaults)

Below that is "Boot Display Device", which without the Radeon in the slot offers:
D-SUB + HDMI
D-SUB + DVI
Only DisplayPort

Next is "IGD Graphics Mode Select" offering either disabled or enabled
coupled with 3 different RAM sizes.

Others to config include "Video Function Configuration" for DVMT memory, PEG
port either enabled or auto, and PAVP mode either disabled, Lite or High.

WRT BIOS settings with DVI connected to Radeon and VGA connected to Intel:
IGD with D-SUB + HDMI:		puts vt output only on VGA
IGD with D-SUB + DVI:		puts vt output only on VGA
PCI/IGD with D-SUB + HDMI:	puts vt output only on VGA
PCI/IGD with D-SUB + DVI:	puts vt output only on VGA
PCI/PEG with D-SUB + HDMI:	puts vt output only on DVI
PCI/PEG with D-SUB + DVI:	puts vt output only on DVI
PEG/IGD with D-SUB + HDMI:	puts vt output only on DVI
PEG/IGD with D-SUB + DVI:	puts vt output only on DVI
PEG/PCI with D-SUB + HDMI:	puts vt output only on DVI
PEG/PCI with D-SUB + DVI:	puts vt output only on DVI
summary: PEG enabled = DVI; else VGA

WRT BIOS settings with VGA connected to Radeon and DVI connected to Intel:
IGD with D-SUB + HDMI:		no vt output; VGA asleep; DVI awake but all black
IGD with D-SUB + DVI:		no vt output; VGA asleep; DVI awake but all black
PCI/IGD with D-SUB + HDMI:	no vt output; VGA asleep; DVI awake but all black
PCI/IGD with D-SUB + DVI:	no vt output; VGA asleep; DVI awake but all black
PCI/PEG with D-SUB + HDMI:	puts vt output only on VGA; DVI awake but all black
PCI/PEG with D-SUB + DVI:	puts vt output only on VGA; DVI awake but all black
PEG/IGD with D-SUB + HDMI:	puts vt output only on VGA; DVI awake but all black
PEG/IGD with D-SUB + DVI:	puts vt output only on VGA; DVI awake but all black
PEG/PCI with D-SUB + HDMI:	puts vt output only on VGA; DVI awake but all black
PEG/PCI with D-SUB + DVI:	puts vt output only on VGA; DVI awake but all black
summary: radeon VGA connection disables Intel DVI output

Apparently with this motherboard at least, whichever between onboard and PEG
is specified excludes use of the other. Output of lspci seems to confirm.
Likely similar is responsible for your blank #2 display. Do you ever see both
Intel Graphics and Radeon Graphics in your lspci output?

No matter the settings, or whether or not the Radeon is inserted, I've been
able in every case to get output sent to at least two X displays if all used
ports are connected to a single graphics chip.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/