xrandr confusion over different options that do the same thing

Simon Farnsworth simon.farnsworth at onelan.com
Wed Apr 25 06:08:43 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 25 April 2012 20:34:40 Kai Hendry wrote:
> On 25 April 2012 20:24, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If the are locked down kiosks then just configure them how you want
> > them statically and then don't let the user change the configuration.
> > If (B) is the most important then why allow users to mess with the
> > displays at all?
>
> Unfortunately I'm reliant on a "admin" setting it up. I don't know
> from where I'm sitting the way kiosks are setup. I cannot ssh in an
> tweak things and find the connector name (is that the correct
> terminology?)
>
> I'm reliant on a local librarian setting it up if you can understand.
> And the their config is saved with us. Once the machine is configured
> it cannot be modified by the user.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you have one connected display - you want to
configure just that display. XRandR tells you which outputs are connected
(exposed in the xrandr utility as "connected", "unknown" or "disconnected"),
so your script can look for a connected connector, and let the user set that
one up.
--
Simon Farnsworth
Software Engineer